Today, I am proud to announce that my company, Mark Ramsey Media, has signed an agreement to develop content for on-demand audio publisher Wondery.
The first show created under that agreement launches today.
It’s called Inside Psycho, and it’s the first audio graphic novel in the podcast space. It’s a six-part deep dive inspired by the making of the classic movie Psycho.
A special sneak preview is available today wherever you listen to podcasts.
So what’s the show about?
It’s all here, from the real-world serial murders that inspired the film, to the movie star crank calls that gave us the voice of “Mother,” to Hitchcock’s relentless efforts to terrify Janet Leigh, to the way the movie re-made Hollywood forever.
We have created a biopic without pictures, a swashbuckling story of fear and loathing, risk and reward, great joy and paralyzing fear – all in a rich, immersive, ground-breaking sound design.
Listen to #InsidePsycho http://insidepsycho.com. Mother thanks you!
Click To Tweet
Inside Psycho tells not just the incredible story behind Psycho, but also the story of the extraordinary struggles of making a movie that, against all odds, became one of the most iconic films of all time.
And it’s full of “firsts”:
- Never before to my knowledge has there been a serialized look at the making of a classic movie in podcast form
- This is the first project my company has ever made that’s directed towards audiences rather than media professionals. This expands the portfolio of services offered by my company, which include research, strategy, and now – content.
- Everything I know about audio is packed into this show. And I am fortunate to be collaborating with a brilliant audio production partner, Jeff Schmidt, who is doing award-worthy work.
- The category is new – an audio graphic novel. Not a documentary and not a radio drama. Stunning sound design and a dramatic sense of momentum that tells a story that is all new, even though it’s about a movie everyone has seen and everyone knows. And like any good biopic, even the dramatic license speaks to a larger truth.
- Too many folks in radio have largely forgotten how powerful audio can be. One purpose of this show is to remind them. Meanwhile, too much of the storytelling in the podcast space captures the intimacy of sound but with little of the power. We try to change that here.
- There’s a sense in podcast-world that all good storytellers are spawned in the ponds of public radio. I hope to prove otherwise.
- I’m very proud to be producing this show in conjunction with Wondery, which is led by Hernan Lopez and Jeffrey Glaser, who have TV-style story sensibilities thanks to their history with FOX network television. They see audio the same way Jeff and I do: As pictures.
From Hernan Lopez, founder of Wondery:
Wondery is excited to premiere the audio adventure Inside Psycho, and we are even more excited to work with Mark Ramsey Media. Mark is a forward-thinker in the audio space. And he has created a series not just for movie-buffs, but also for all artists and entrepreneurs who have chased a dream and experienced the thrilling highs and crushing lows of the creative journey.
I’m also excited to tell you that a segment from Inside Psycho will be featured in a presentation at the 2017 Cannes Lions International Festival for Creativity, one of the most important advertising industry events in the world.
The teaser is available now. The first two episodes will premiere March 24th. Inside Psycho joins Wondery as the newest original, alongside the critically acclaimed series Hollywood & Crime, FOUND, Terms, and Secrets, Crimes & Audiotape.
You can (and should) listen to the teaser audio here:
You can find out more about Inside Psycho and subscribe for free at the show’s website.
And Mother thanks you.